Welcome to my site. Please CLICK HERE to give your opinions regarding this new look of "PCTipsbyAnu". Thanks for visiting.

Monday, August 9, 2010

Browse » Home » , , , » How to solve 'File Size Limit Exceeded Error'?

How to solve 'File Size Limit Exceeded Error'?



This one was a doozy. I got this error message when I tried to su from a regular user account. This is what I would get

[anu007tiger@laptop anu007tiger]$ su
Password:
Error: file size limit exceeded
[anu007tiger@laptop anu007tiger]$
and I was stuck. 



It took me forever to figure this one out online. 

First I checked proc/sys/fs and the files in there. Issuing 'catfile-max' will showyou the maximum files that a user can open. 

Issuing 'cat super-max'will show you the same information for the root user. I increased bothof these, butunfortunately it didn't help. I finally found the answer in a veryobscure corner of the net (and my file system).


You have to check etc/security/limits.conf. Don't ask me why this fileis here, but it sets the max limit for user files to 100mb. This iscompletely insufficient so I edited the file and changed theappropriate line (the last I think) to the following:

# limit size of any one of users' files to 100mb
# originally set to 100000, reset to 500mb
* hard fsize 500000
This fixed the problem and I was good to go.
You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

About 'Anu': My name is 'Anu' also Known as 'ANU 007 TIGER' .I'm administrator of 'PC Tips by Anu' blog .This blog was opened for sharing contents about hacking n cracking.
Thanks YAHOO OR GMAIL

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Back to Top